Sunday 13 October 2013

Ceramic Workshop

Yesterday I went on a company 'away day' with a few people from work to Cone 10 Ceramics.

I got to try throwing a pot on the wheel for the first time, something I've always wanted to do! 
I had no illusions that it would be harder than it looked, as specific hand-positionings are required to create certain shapes and it takes a bit of practise to get the feel of it, but I managed to create a little porcelain pot which I was very proud of (below right).

My lovely sister Karis recently bought be a mini cactus, so I decided to create a vessel to act as a bigger plant pot for it. Hopefully it will be glazed with a turquoise crackle glaze and look fabulous when it's finished!  




I also got to decorate a handmade porcelain mug with 'decals' (little stickers that peel off in water and can be applied to the mug). These are then glazed and 'fused' with the porcelain, creating a lovely transfer effect. 
There were lots of images and patterns available to choose from. I decided on a blue china-pattern theme, arranging snippets of two blue floral patterns around the mug. Unfortunately there were also some cute pig decals and one in matching blue colour to the flowers, so I was unable to resist adding it on the inside! 


My 'decal' decorated mug

Triumph! My first attempt at throwing a pot

I really enjoyed the day and would love to go again, maybe on a regular basis, to create more ceramics. In my foundation year at college I loved making clay sculptures and it's something I've always wanted to get back into. Can't wait to see how my pot looks when it's glazed!



No comments:

Post a Comment